|What can I say, it is good. It is pretty, clean, cheap, the people are friendly, and the food is good. Many speak English to some degree, and if you dont I have worked out a formula to speak instant German. Hier es ist...:
1) Speak basic English. ie dont use words of Latin extraction, so you 'seek' rather than 'search'.
2) All undeclined verbs add -en and put at the end of the sentence.
3) Change all 'th' sounds to a 'd'. So 'de' for 'the', 'dis' for 'this'.
4) Learn some odds and ends of usefull vocabulary for words that arent almost the same in English ( eg 'bezahlen', 'to pay', 'ruchnung' for 'bill' (all the usual words you need in pubs and restaurants basically)).
5) Learn a few rules, 'w' sounds like 'v'. 'z' like 't', 's' like 'z'.
6) Learn the pronouns: Ich, Sie, er, es, wir.
7) To put a verb into the past tense add ge- to the beginning and usually change the ending to a kind of d/t sound, like in English: Bring->Brought, and note the same vowel change exists in German, Trinken->Getronk (Drink->Drunk).
8) Use the Scots 'ken' for 'know'.
And there you go, Nu kan sie Deutsh spreken!
(OK you might sound like a mental retard to them but at least you can get somwhere! )
Nothing to say.