I had to create Umbraco database on my shared hosting (I am using Winhost at the moment) couple of days ago.
After checking few examples on Umbraco forum, I came up with my own quick solution which works like a charm.
Here is how I do it, hope it will help you to quickly resolve this issue if you face it.
First I created a blank SQL database on my shared hosting. Then:
I have created DB script from VS 2010.
- Open Visual Web Developer Express 2010/VS 2010 Pro
- Open Database Explorer (View -> Database Explorer) (in Visual Studio 2010 you will open “Server Explorer”).
- The Database Explorer should show up on the right side of the IDE.
- Right click Data Connections and select Add Connection.
- Enter the server name in the first text box (type the name of your local SQL Server).
- Type the name of the database in the database name field and click “OK.”
- In Database Explorer you will see your local database. Right click on it and choose Publish to Provider.
To generate the script that will create the backup of your database follow the steps listed below.
- Click “Next” on the welcome screen of Publishing Wizard.
- Insure that your database is selected, check Script all objects in the selected database and click “Next.”
- Choose the Script to file option and type the name of the script you will be generating. Click “Next.”
- Leave the default Publishing Options and click “Next.”
- Click “Finish.”
- Open your database in SQL Server Management Studio 2008.
- Click File/Open/File and navigate to the SQL script you just created from your SQL Server.
- Input your database login and password from Control Panel
- Once the script is opened, navigate to the very top of the page and type:
- USE [database name] (without the brackets)
- Click the “Execute” button.
It creates all tables exactly the same as you have in your local DB.