Comments by rctaubert (Top 18 by date)

rctaubert 16-Sep-12 18:56pm View

Reason for my vote of 4
Thank you for sharing this. Very timely as I have a project I am working on where I can use your methods.
rctaubert 18-Aug-12 13:57pm View

Reason for my vote of 1
I did not like and would not use that method even in early VB.
rctaubert 10-Aug-12 11:54am View

I want to thank everyone who replied. I am sure the main problem is my lack of experience using events but I was not able to use any of your suggestions to come up with an answer. I was hoping learn a lot from this program and it really irks me to be hung up on one small piece of a very large program. But, that's life. Again, thank you one and all.
rctaubert 10-Aug-12 11:50am View

Thank you for your reply. I looked at the link you gave. It did not lead to any ideas that worked. Thank you for trying.
rctaubert 10-Aug-12 11:47am View

Amit, thank you for replying. I tried the converter you suggested. It came up with the exact same solution so was no help. Thank you for trying.
rctaubert 10-Aug-12 11:46am View

Philip, thank you for your comment. I tried your suggestion in several forms and simply got more errors. Thank you for trying.
rctaubert 9-Aug-12 23:51pm View

Yes, I am converting from C# to Vb.net using InstantVB.

Also, I am using VS2010 Professional.
rctaubert 9-Aug-12 17:56pm View

Thank you for your response Wes. Based on the link you provided I tried this:

Public Event Changing As ProfileChangingHandler Implements IProfile.Changing
Public Sub ProfileChanging()

RaiseEvent Changing(Nothing, Nothing)

End Sub

Public Event Changed As ProfileChangedHandler Implements IProfile.Changed
Public Sub ProfileChanged()

RaiseEvent Changed(Nothing, Nothing)

End Sub

Protected Sub New(ByVal profile As Profile)

m_name = profile.m_name
m_readOnly = profile.m_readOnly
' AddHandler Changing, profile.Changing
' AddHandler Changed, profile.Changed
* AddHandler Changing, ProfileChanging()
* AddHandler Changed, ProfileChanged()

End Sub

Now the lines with the asterisk (ProfileChanging() and ProfileChanged() ) give the following error message:

"Expression does not produce a value"

I know it doesen't return a value but I have no idea what it expects. I am completely lost using Events.
rctaubert 2-Jul-12 9:35am View

Reason for my vote of 5
Very usefull. Thank you for sharing.
rctaubert 3-May-12 16:14pm View

I have finally come up with code that works, though hardly elegant. The code is as follows:

Dim i As Integer = 0
Dim byteList As List(Of Byte) = New List(Of Byte)
For Each b As Byte In attribValue
byteList.Add(b)
i += 1
If i = 16 Then Exit For
Dim aValue As Byte() = byteList.ToArray
Dim myGuid As New Guid(aValue)
tagValue = myGuid.ToString

Can you think of a better way of doing this?
rctaubert 3-May-12 11:39am View

Let me recap. The app produces a byte array named attribValue which contain 17 bytes with the values {188,125,96,209,35,227,226,75,134,161,72,164,42,40,68,30,00} for the song I have been using in my tests.

The expected result with this particular set of values is {D1607DBC-E323-4BE2-86A1-48A42A28441E}. I know this through some research into Microsofts metadata for songs.

Dim myGuid As New Guid(byte()) will produce a GUID BUT it requires only 16 bytes.

The problem now is that attribValue is 17 bytes long. Is there a way I can delete the last byte or copy all but the last byte to a new variable.

The following code will manually produce the correct result:
Dim aValue() As Byte = {188, 125, 96, 209, 35, 227, 226, 75, 134, 161, 72, 164, 42, 40, 68, 30} (NOTE missing last byte)
Dim myGuid As New Guid(aValue)
tagValue = myGuid.ToString
rctaubert 3-May-12 11:36am View

Let me recap. The app produces a byte array named attribValue which contain 17 bytes with the values {188-125-96-209-35-227-226-75-134-161-72-164-42-40-68-30.0} for the song I have been using in my tests.

The following code will manually produce the correct result:
Dim myGuid As New Guid(aValue)
tagValue = myGuid.ToString
rctaubert 30-Apr-12 14:46pm View

You stated "You did not even published the byte values." Look back at my first replly to you.

"depends on the content of the array of character" I gave you that. {BC-7D-60-D1-23-E3-E2-4B-86-A1-48-A4-2A-28-44-1E-00} or if you prefer {188-125-96-209-35-227-226-75-134-161-72-164-42-40-68-30.0}

As to your reference to system.bitconverter if you will look at my original post, that is what MSs code uses and it doesn't return a correct value.

But thank you anyway.
rctaubert 30-Apr-12 13:11pm View

Again, thank you for replying.

From your statement "This is pointless, because no one except you knows what was actually encoded (serialized) as an array of byte." I believe it is you that doesn't understand

I didn't write this code. As I pointed out it comes from Microsoft's SDK for Windows Media Player 11. It is used to provide metadata from .wma files (songs). I DID NOT write the code and I DID NOT supply the data.

It works except for this one piece of code. I didn't realize it was returning an incorrect value until I saw what WMPLib returned. Some research lead me to conclude that WMPLib was correct.

Thank you for your suggestions concerning system.guid. However, none of them will take an argument of type system.byte[].
rctaubert 30-Apr-12 12:21pm View

"on what was serialized" WMT_TYPE_GUID as evidenced by the return from WMPLib {D1607DBC-E323-4BE2-86A1-48A42A28441E}

"in what encoding" I would imagine that if I knew that I wouldn't be posting this question.

"pointless trial-and-error approach" I tried Goodling the problem and all of my 'trial-and-error' were recommendations to similar questions. At least I was trying to find an answer.

But I do want to thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to leave your comment. It's just too bad you couldn't find something positive to offer.
rctaubert 27-Apr-12 12:05pm View

Reddy,
Thank you for your quick reply. Wow! Not only did you solve my problem you taught me something new and improved my code. Thank you very much.
rctaubert 1-Feb-12 18:57pm View

Reason for my vote of 1
Your alternative (Gembox Software Free edition is severely limited as to the size of the workbook.
rctaubert 2-Jan-12 8:17am View

Reason for my vote of 5
Useful information. Thank you.